I hope this post finds you well and loving life. I can’t believe it’s already February! My, how time flies…
Well, I’ve been moved in to my new studio for about a month now, and it has taken me some time to adjust to working in the new space….something I wasn’t expecting.
I have spent the last several weeks in this new year cocooned in a sort of creative solitude. My goal was to forge a new process or rhythm of working in my studio balanced with the demands of family life, schooling, and other obligations. Not easy.
Mainly, I have been focused on musical inspiration. Many of you may not know that I play violin, so I have to keep up my skills on that instrument. But recently I have also been learning to play guitar—something I tried to teach myself long ago, but that’s another story….
In addition to learning something new, I don’t mind telling you that I had a little trepidation about creating my first art piece of the new year in the new space….and I was feeling the pressure.
When I feel pressure, it’s usually because I am raising my expectations to unreasonable levels, and then I tend to procrastinate so as to avoid that pressure, and it can become this vicious cycle.
Anyway, I gave the perfection and people-pleasing parts of me a good kick in the pants, and went out to the studio to play. And today’s post is the result!
I hope you enjoy it. 🙂
Let’s start with the piece.
Now for the progress shots….
First, the set up:
Next, an underpainting of cool blues and purples for this snow scene:
Slow building up of color and establishing the sky.
Deepening the shadow areas and beginning to feel my way with those pesky wintry trees:
More development of the dried grassy areas, as well as the trees:
At this point in the photo below, I thought I was getting close to being done, so I put up some black artist tape….Usually, I use a black mat that I keep on hand for this purpose, but I didn’t have a square one handy!
Hmmm. SOMETHING was bothering me. The painting was missing something or a even a few things, but what?
It was at this point that I let the piece sit on my easel for several days while I thought about it. I often need to step away for a day or so while the painting “cooks”.
When I came back to it with fresh eyes, I used my editing app on my ipad to make some notes of things that I thought needed to be changed.
For starters, I wanted more contrast in the overall piece.
Next, I wanted to bring more unity to the color scheme—especially by tying the sky colors into the rest of the piece.
Finally, I needed to lead the viewer through the work with some subtle hints about where to look.
In the photo above, you can see that I added subtle hints of turquoise into the snow shadows to tie the sky into the rest of the scene.
Next, I deepened some of the dark areas for added contrast.
And lastly, I pushed the colors ever so slightly in areas where I want the viewer to look—namely the golden grass near the focal tree and continuing in the mid-ground grass.
And here is the final result once more.
I hope you enjoyed this one. Thanks for stopping by and visiting!
Now go get creative!